New Crown COVID-19 Vaccine Description
New Crown COVID-19 is an inactivated vaccine that is made of virus particles that are grown in culture and lack disease-producing capability.
New Crown COVID-19 vaccine candidate has been developed by Sinopharm and the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
This vaccine candidate is developed by Sinopharm’s Wuhan Institute of Biological Products Co. and has shown no serious adverse reactions during phase I and II clinical trials, according to a Weibo posting by China National Biotec Group, a subsidiary of the company’s parent, on June 17, 2020.
China National Pharmaceutical Group Co., Ltd. (Sinopharm) is a large healthcare group directly under the State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council, with 128,000 employees and a full chain in the industry covering R&D, manufacturing, logistics and distribution, retail chains, healthcare, engineering services, exhibitions and conferences, international business and financial services.
New Crown COVID-19 Vaccine Indication
New Crown COVID-19 vaccine candidate is indicated to prevent COVID-19 disease caused by infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
New Crown COVID-19 Vaccine News
June 28, 2020 - The second vaccine developed by Sinopharm has been found to be safe and able to generate high titers of antibodies among participants in phase I and II clinical trials, according to a Weibo posting by Sinopharm Group. All the participants get 2 shots at either 3- or 4-week intervals that have generated neutralizing antibodies, a measurement of the vaccine’s ability to stimulate a specific immune response to the coronavirus.
June 23, 2020 - China and Afghanistan signed a clinical cooperation agreement on the spot, marking the official launch of the world's first international clinical trial (Phase III) of the new crown inactivated vaccine. The cooperation between Chinese and UAE technology companies marks new and important progress in international anti-epidemic cooperation.
June 17, 2020 - A vaccine candidate developed by Sinopharm’s Wuhan Institute of Biological Products Co. has shown no serious adverse reactions during phase I and II clinical trials, according to a Weibo posting on Tuesday by China National Biotec Group, a subsidiary of the company’s parent. That sent Sinopharm shares up by as much as 15% in Hong Kong to be the best performer in the MSCI Asia Pacific Index.
New Crown COVID-19 Vaccine Clinical Trials
Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial: The randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled trials of the vaccine are conducted in Jiaozuo, Henan Province.
- The vaccine involved 1,120 volunteers aged between 18 and 59 in its clinical trials, which started on April 12.
- The vaccine receivers inoculated with two injections in different procedures and doses have all produced high titers of antibodies.
- Sinopharm said that the candidate demonstrated a good safety profile so far, with the trial participants still under observation. The results revealed a good safety record, with no cases of severe adverse effects found in the clinical trials.
- For those receiving two middle-dose injections at intervals of 14 days and 21 days, the seroconversion rate of neutralizing antibodies reached 97.6 percent.
- For those receiving two middle-dose injections at an interval of 28 days, the seroconversion rate of neutralizing antibodies reached 100 percent.
Phase 3 Clinical Trial
- The announcement of phase three clinical trials for the inactivated new crown vaccine, which may consist of whole, inactivated agents developed by China National Pharmaceutical Group Sinopharm (Sinopharm) was held online in China's Beijing and Wuhan, and the UAE's Abu Dhabi on Tuesday
- The New Crown COVID-19 inactivated vaccine candidate had not shown any severe adverse effects in the first two phases of clinical trials, and it is the first vaccine candidate in the world to show favorable immunogenicity and safety.