YF-VAX is indicated for active immunization for the prevention of yellow fever in persons 9 months of age and older.
- Are living in or traveling to endemic areas;
- Traveling internationally to countries that require evidence of vaccination from entering travelers or;
- Laboratory Personnel who might be exposed to virulent yellow fever virus or to concentrated preparations of the yellow fever vaccine strain by direct or indirect contact or by aerosols should be vaccinated.
A safe and effective yellow fever vaccine has been available for more than 80 years.
- A single dose provides lifelong protection for most people.
- The vaccine is a live, weakened form of the virus given as a single shot.
- The vaccine is recommended for people aged 9 months or older and who are traveling to or living in areas at risk for yellow fever virus in Africa and South America.
- Yellow fever vaccine may be required for entry into certain countries.