Pediatric Leaders Seek Elimination of Non-Medical Vaccination Exemptions for Children
The leaders of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) have called for the elimination of non-medical exemptions to vaccinations for children, to be the #1 priority for 2019.
“Given the (ongoing) measles outbreaks, prioritizing the elimination of non-medical vaccine exemptions is a timely undertaking,” said AAP President Kyle E. Yasuda, M.D., FAAP, in a press release on March 16, 2019.
The AAP leadership ranked this priority first among the top 10 resolutions during the Annual Leadership Forum (ALF), which was scheduled for March 14-17, 2019.
The resolution asks the Academy’s Board of Directors to advocate for the “development of a toolkit that highlights successful chapter strategies for the purpose of helping chapters work with their state legislatures to eliminate/reduce non-medical* exemptions that have allowed immunization refusals.”
The AAP’s top 10 resolutions for 2019 are as follows:
- Eliminating Non-medical* Exemptions to Vaccinating Children
- Family Separations at the Border: Safeguarding Children’s Health
- Limitation of Prior Authorization Requirements for Medications
- Continuity of Medicaid Benefits When Recipients Move
- Access to Evidence-Based Treatment for Children and Adolescents With Neurodevelopmental Disorders Beyond Autism
- Affordable Insulin Access for all Children With Diabetes
- Revising the AAP Bright Futures Guidelines on Gun Safety Anticipatory Guidance
- Drowning Prevention Recommendation Statement and Education
- Providing Guidance on School Response to E-cigarette Use by Students
- Public Education About Intramuscular Vitamin K Administration at Birth
*The title and resolved were revised to include other kinds of exemptions.
The ALF brings together chapter, committee, council and section leaders from across the U.S. and Canada, drawing on their diverse perspectives and expertise to advise the AAP Board of Directors.
The ALF event also provides leadership education and promotes networking and understanding of AAP priorities.
Prior to the forum, AAP groups and members submitted resolutions for consideration, and members were able to comment on them online.
Look to the May issue of AAP News for more on the top 10 resolutions and the 2019 ALF.